Tuesday, July 15, 2008

One more night and we still haven't been able to climb Ayer's Rock......

Well, it's our last night and we still haven't been able to climb Uluru due to the winds.  Word has it, that since the Aborigines don't really want you to climb the rock anyway, it's just a way of saying "no".  In their culture, it's forbidden to 'climb' anything that's natural.  They firmly believe in Mother Earth and the spirit of the mountain.  In their culture, they believe it's disrespectful to climb this mountain.  I for one, don't want to climb it, but there are others in our group, who do.  Maybe it also has something to do with the full moon coming up.

Chris wanted to stay a few more nights, but that wouldn't guarantee that he'd be able to climb Ayer's Rock.  And he also checked to see if we could stay a few more nights, but at $450 per night,....I DON'T THINK SO! .....  So!  we pack up tonight and head out tomorrow morning.  We'll check the park first to see if the climb is 'do-able", otherwise, we're heading out.

We did a walk today..... 7.4klms long.  For those 'brisk' walkers, it would normally take 3 hours.  For me,...well, I think I did it in 5 and half hours.  We got lots of pictures and a lot of breaks for me.  And the walk was classed as 'hard'.  And I can now vouch for that!  I was exhausted!!  The older people in our group, had aches and pains in hips, feet, and knees.  But then, the lucky devils got to walk another 2.5 klms in Walpa Gorge.  Chris and I headed back to Uluru to see if it had opened up yet for the climb.  Nope....so we headed back to the cabin.

I've rested up now and it's time to pack up.  Chris is fixing a few things here and there on the truck and tonight we pack.  So with some more pictures to download and emails to check, I'll leave you now so I can pack for our next adventure.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OH wow!!!! watch out mum's gone "walkabout" hehe