Tuesday, August 5, 2008

And so the red sand begins..........

The next morning, we all scrambled around trying to pull our tents up and get the trucks ready.  We still had to fuel up and pick up whatever goodies we were going to buy.  It was getting late.  So while Chris fuelled up, I started to buy one or two things, but then a queue happened while I was shopping and I ended up waiting in a very long line.  Then, Chris and I stopped and took pictures of the Birdsville Pub while the others gathered up their own stocks.

100_4666It was then I spotted the the bakery.  Hot Dog Buns!....I knew I needed those for our 4th of July dinner.  So we headed over there as well.  As usual, Chris and I were the last ones ready for driving out.   I even missed out on the buns, as the bakery had run out.  But I DIDN'T miss out on the Lamingtons!!

FINALLY!!  it must have been around 9:30am before we finally headed out.  Sorry Col!.....I could feel, that as the leader of the group, the stragglers were starting to frustrate Col and some of the others.  They were all anxious to get on the road.  But, we  finally got there.

Just outside of Birdsville, we hit a muddy patch and then some water crossing over the road.  It was exciting to go through the muddy patches and go through the 2 feet of water on the road.  We all stayed to the center of the road and made it through easily.

100_4671

  100_4675

 

 

 

 

 

We were the 5th of our group, so we missed out on the dingo that was hunting a calf, off to the right hand side of the road. 

Well, it wasn't too far out of Birdsville that our first sand dune came into view.

100_4681

Big Red as it's fondly called.  Well, it didn't LOOK that big, but I'm only a novice, so what would I know.  We all parked along the bottom of this sand hill.  And the bird on the sign post?...well, that's Claude.  He's a garden gnome crow.  He's part of the Clough family and he goes on all the family trips as well.

 

100_4682

The boys took the air out of their tyres and put their sand flags up.  Their turn was about to start. 

Surprisingly, there were people already there going over the hill.  So we waited for them to cross and then we started over the hill too.

One by one. 

 

This.  This is what the trip was all about.  Going over 1100 sand dunes.  Four wheel driving.

No comments: