Saturday, January 17, 2009

Landed in Victoria

We've landed in Victoria. I never thought I would make it, but we did.  We crossed the border yesterday.  The first thing I noticed was the trees got taller and the grass was greener.  Or so it seemed ; and I fell in love.  It's just beautiful here and I've only crossed the border!

Our first day in, we spotted a dingo in the middle of the highway until it ran off into the forest.  And there was a mob of kangaroos in a nearby paddock.

We arrived on a cloudy day and little did we know just how COLD the breeze was.  We landed at a spot called Lakes Entrance.  We jumped out of the car to use a public lavatory and I quickly jumped back in to put a jacket on and Chris came back with blue knees!

Once we set the van up,.... heater and all, we stepped out to have a look around town.  It's a nice little fishing spot here.  We headed up to Bairnsdale yesterday and further inland today, to Omeo.  It's very nice, but Omeo has been severely effected by the drought.  Like Queensland, the grassland turned brown and the dams are empty.  We headed out to Lake Omeo, only to find it a barren landscape like the rest of the paddocks around it.  As a matter of fact because we were looking for a body of water, we drove by it 3 times!

Both Chris and myself are starting to feel the strain of travelling and once we get to Canberra, get things fixed up,  we might lay low for a couple of days.  We might even head back to Tumut as we make our way into Wagga Wagga and Albury/Wodonga.

And as I write this, I can feel the temperature drop.  It's supposed to be 8 deg C tonight.  That's 48 deg F.  Get the bed socks out and the tracky dacks Chris!  I've got the doona!

No comments: