Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Through the land of green and gold.....

The only sound high on this hill is the wind and the bugs.  Cicadas started their nightly calls in the early summer evening.  Scenic Road turned into the scenic route.

100_8468

 

 

 

 

 

 

We're headed to Canberra, but then  we took a right turn and  decided to take a scenic route through the area.  The hot water system broke down a couple of days ago and we've got to find someone who can fix it.  We waited in Dubbo until this morning, but the guys didn't have our part and would have had to order it in.  So instead of waiting in Dubbo for our spare part, we opted for the next large town to get it fixed.  And as we make our way south to Canberra, we took a  side road to a little town called Young.

We're standing on this knoll, reflecting once again on what it would be like to live here, on this spot, overlooking this massive valley where the sun and drought  have burnt the grass lands down amidst the paddocks of the abundantly green Lucerne crops. And once the sun settles over the west, the heat makes it's way up the sides to dance with the cooler air above us.

 100_8477

We watched the rich golden sun set behind us, casting a faint purple light on the adjoining hills and a golden light on the valley below.  The night winds have drowned out the sounds of sheep in the adjoining paddocks and a  lone cross sits on the hill over looking the valley below.  That young man never made it to his prime.

Okay the reality is,  Chris is laughing at me as I stomp on the little insects crawling around my feet.  The flies and ants tickling my skin as they land on me.  I spray my chair with bug spray and even the ground around my feet.  My city instincts have kicked in and I'm exposed as a wuss.  And somewhere around here is a wasp or a bee's nest.  I also noticed that there's either a GIANT horse fly or a GIANT wasp flying around here and I quickly retreated to the inside of the caravan.  So while INSIDE the caravan, I look longingly out of the windows feeling like a sensitive coward.  Aah, tomorrow's another day and my bravery will return as the sun rises up on the morrow.....and all that stuff.

No comments: