Thursday, April 30, 2009

Streaky Bay and onwards…..

We’ve been on the road for six months now.  At times, it seems like it, but mostly it doesn’t feel like it at all.  This trip is something we’ve been wanting to do for so long and I’m still pinching myself.  I don’t know what we did in the previous life to deserve this, but I for one, am very grateful.

The beauty of this country never ceases to amaze me.  Today we were scouting Streaky Bay and came across these things…

100_1063

These monoliths are called Murphy’s Haystacks.  They sit all by themselves on the top of a hill in the middle of somebody’s paddock.  Of course, the original owner was Murphy, but I’m not sure who owns these now.

100_1042

A colony of sea lions at Point Labatt.  Col counted around 50 of them.  Most were asleep, but there were a few who still wanted to have fun and a bit of a swim.

 

100_1080

A Frilly neck lizard, who was very bold and letting us know that we were not welcome at his house.

 

 

 

100_1008

Granite boulders in the azure blue sea.

 

 

 

 

Streaky Bay is a small fishing village discovered in the mid 1800’s.  The town was named after the bay itself.  The rugged beauty is awesome and the native wildlife is abundant.  We were fortunate in that the cloudy mornings usually gave way to a bright clear afternoon.

I also recently discovered some photos that didn’t get uploaded from Flinder’s Ranges.  One included a Yellow Footed Rock Wallaby, who is normally very shy and protected by the park agencies. 

And,.. I now no longer have a problem with upload restrictions, so there will be more photos on the “SLIDESHOW” link at the right.  I hope you enjoy seeing them as much as I have enjoyed taking them.

No comments: