Wednesday, April 22, 2009

We made it to William Creek.

We pulled up in front of the pub at William Creek and the billowing dust settled back down.  Chris went in to organize a couple of nights at the caravan park and I waited for him in the car away from the flies that accost you each time you step out.

We settled the van into our spot opposite Col and Margaret.  When I opened the van door, the sight that met my eyes was depressing.  The van looked like it had aged 50 years.  There was an inch of red dust on EVERYTHING.

My first response was to sit down and cry, but when I sat on the cushion, a cloud of red dust met my nose and the sneezing bout started. Then,  i didn’t know whether to laugh or cry.

i started cleaning one of the cupboards, but gave up when i realized that there’s a lot more dusty road to cover yet.  The dust was still coming in from the door, still coming in from the back window. …and still coming in from the hatch.  And we found a new spot in the bathroom as well.

So between the dust and the super affectionate flies, we’re trying to prove how capable we really are.  We’ve donned our hats with the nets for outside work and armed ourselves with fly spray for the inside jobs.

Chris is busy trying to “FIX” all the holes where the dust is coming in, while trying to keep his wife humoured and still in a good mood.  I’m trying to be philosophical about it as well, but the sand and grit in my teeth is starting to get to me.  We have steaks ordered at the pub tonight and the air flight ordered for Monday.  So we’ll be here for a couple of days and with that thought in my mind, I might clean up gradually as needed.  Like washing  up some glasses, so we can have a drink.

No comments: