Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Domestic Bliss....Am I crazy?!

When you're a child, your mother tells you to clean your room.  At an early age, you want to help Mummy so you feel like you're a contributing member.  When you become an older child or teenager, your mother tells you to clean the house.  So you moan and groan about child labour laws and lay around for hours until 30 minutes before Mum comes home and THEN do the mad dash trying to get everything done.

When you move out on your own, you learn no one is going to clean up except you.  When you get married, you WILLINGLY clean up because THAT'S what you do, because you KNOW if you don't do it, nobody else will.

At some point, the tide turned.  I like a clean house.  There's a sense of satisfaction in having a clean house.  Someone once said, " A clean house represents your life and the way you think"  Hence,  an orderly house is an orderly mind and life.  And pride forbade me in having a cleaner come in once a week. At one time,  I thought it would be nice to have a cleaner come in, but the reality is, is that I would have ended up cleaning BEFORE they arrived, so why bother?

it was also a good way to work off any anger.  I just had to be careful not to slam doors in the process, scaring the rest of the household.  But all in all, it WAS a great way to work out any negative feelings you may have.  Even if you're feeling depressed, you can start with one small thing and work your way around it and give yourself a sense of satisfaction at the end of it.  And sometimes you find that your feeling of depression is gone too.  Kill two birds with one stone...I like it.

And as time passed on and the kids moved up and out of the house, I found I didn't have to clean as often.  There's a sense of accomplishment in cleaning a house.  The best part is you don't even have to think about it.  The music comes on, everyone clears the house, and I start from one room and work my way around the house.

And as I make my way around the caravan, cleaning up as I go, satisfaction is mine in knowing that my life is in order once again.  Sad, you may say, but now I feel like I can move forward to do new things or just fix a cup of tea and .........relaaaax.  (sigh)

No comments: