Friday, May 15, 2009

Ready to give up?

Someone asked me if we were getting homesick and tired of travelling.  The answer is no.  Not yet.  Yes, we ARE getting tired, but not from too much sight seeing or travelling.

There is a point where there’s just so much to look at, that you become numb to it.  At that point, you need to stop and refresh.  You just need to do something domestic, like read a book, do some shopping, just be by yourself for a few minutes and not ‘DO’ anything.

I HAVE been at that point, many times.  And by the next day, I’m ready to travel again.  As time goes by, it gets less and less too.  Mostly it’s because, I can now see the end of our trip coming up.  We have 5 months left.

I think the hardest part of travelling extensively like this is being so closely together.  Chris and I both are very independent people.  We both like to do our own thing.  So when we’re thrown together so tightly, it can become a little claustrophobic.  And when we start sniping at each other, it’s time for a little separation.  He goes one way and I go the other, just so we can have that time to ourselves.  Usually, having a whole day to ourselves, works wonders.  But for the most part, we do enjoy each other’s company very much.

Travelling does wear a body out, so you just need to make sure you have plenty of rest and eat right.  I’ve figured that out the hard way.

The best part about travelling is seeing everything with the one you love.   The freedom of movement, of doing, of seeing all that Australia IS.  The beauty of the land in all of it’s harshness.  The knowledge of the hardships that our ancestors had to bear.  The sheer size of this place and the remoteness of it all.  And we have the pictures of all the things we’ve seen, so we can look back at it again and remember.   This is a once in a lifetime trip and it’s been wonderful.

Today, we ventured out into Fitzgerald Ranges.  All the best pictures are on the slideshow.  The flora here is fabulous and it’s only Autumn.  Spring here, would be a festival of colour. 

And we also came across some dolphins having a feast on fish or squid in a very remote inlet called Quoin Beach.  We watched them for a few minutes riding the waves and circling around the little bay.

It’s been a very pleasant day cruising through the National Park and along the coast.  Tomorrow we’re headed up north to Hyden where there’s a monolith called Wave Rock.  We’ll stay there overnight and head back down into Western Australia’s wine country.

Am I getting tired of travelling?  No.  Am I getting homesick? A little.  Mostly, I miss my children, my grandchild, and my dogs.  But the caravan is our home for a few more months and I’m sure the house will seem like a castle to us, when we eventually get there.

In the meantime, we’ve got five more months of travelling left, so let’s enjoy it while we can.

.

No comments: