Sunday, September 13, 2009

Now when did THAT happen?

So here we were, running around like mad chooks trying to get furniture in, unpack boxes, get the electrician, the plumber, and the kitchen guys organized, all the while trying to clean up the caravan to sell. 

Well, we’ve sold the caravan.(woohoo!) The plumbers, electrician, and kitchen guys have already been.  The boxes are unpacked and ALL of the furniture is here.  And then arrives Jenny, Scott, and Camille for a visit to Papa and Grandma’s house.

The buzz of their visit started well before they arrived.  Both Chris and I were all hyped up for their visit.  The kids arrived about an hour after the kitchen guys left.  We all sat down to dinner and the talking didn’t stop until we all went to bed.  Catching up on this and that.

The following day we showed them around Hervey Bay.  We had a nice lunch of fish and chips, a play in the park for Camille, and a great walk down the jetty.  We were all very tired, but the only ones who got any naps was Papa and Grandma!  I’m just not sure if it was the sun and fresh air or the relaxation  after all of the unpacking and organizing we did, but we finished the day off with a BBQ and the boys watching the finals on the Rugby League while  us girls played a game of Scrabble.

But this morning, it happened.  The kids left…and there was this silence.   And it was in THAT moment that I realized that I’m in the same situation  LIKE MY GRANDPARENTS!  That whirlwind energy of the kids and grandkids coming in to the house  making it hard to focus on the many conversations around me and then that silence when they’re were gone, leaving me with those feelings of being old fashioned, (which to me is really a sign of being relaxed and comfortable).  And when did this happen that I’m not able to keep up with the conversations?   I can remember being able to listen to each child’s request for what kind of sandwich they wanted while  AT THE SAME TIME  listening to my husband call out for something he needed in another room, all the while listening for the dog that might get the postie as he drove by,  AND waiting for the baby to wake up.  This morning my husband asked me if I wanted a cuppa and while I HEARD him, I didn’t register that he was talking to me.  Is this a sign of getting old or do I just need some vitamins?  My focus doesn’t seem to be as good as it once was, but for the life of me, I don’t know whether to put it down to discipline or age.  The art of conversation seems to have disappeared from me and I’m not sure why.  Is THIS a sign of getting old or that I need to get out more?  Where did all my energy GO?!  hmmm…  So,  while Papa is curled up on the couch for a nap and I type away on the computer, I contemplate my situation.  Maybe I’m just going through a transition period from parent to grandparent.  Maybe I just need to get out there and do more exercise and meet people.  Who knows?  But for the moment, at least I can gather my thoughts and focus on writing this blog. 

2 comments:

chris said...

Excuse me I was not napping, I was organizing my afternoon with my eyes shut, you know, concentrating !!! :-)

Anonymous said...

zzzzz poppa's sleeping!

focus on your health mum and it will come flying back! the blood will be circulating O2 to your brain like no tomo! ake the puppies for a walk...hahaha i just said puppies......take the dogs for a walk down the beautiful suburban streets you have! Lap up the area your in Its BEAUTIFUL!!