Saturday, November 15, 2008

As we prepare to leave Cairns

I like Cairns.  It reminds me so much of Hawaii.  The green mountains that back up to the city itself.  The houses that dot the mountain side trying to capture the breeze.  The swaying palm trees, and lush tropical flowers.

We've had a lot fun here.  We went snorkelling on Wednesday at Green Island.  The island itself is literally a dot on the map.  It's a one hour trip across the bay to a little spot on the Great Barrier Reef.  We collected our flippers and goggles, along with a 'stinger' suit.  Similar to a wetsuit, but much, much lighter.  It still makes you look like a penguin, but it's very comfortable.  We saw lots of coral.  There was Brain coral, Table coral, blue coral, purple coral, and lots of fish.  I kept thinking, "man, I'd like to go fishing HERE!"  but of course, it's a marine park,..so NO FISHING.

We were in the snorkelling area for about 1 and half hours.  When we got back to the island, we headed for the beach to snorkel there as well.  Both Chris and I got bit by the same brazen fish.  Obviously I was in it's territory and it was letting me know quick smart, that I wasn't welcome as it bit my pinky finger.  As I came up and was telling Chris about it, he just looked at me like...."  huh, what?"  and then HE got bit by the same fish.  He was shocked that the little fish went after him.

We had come ashore to wash down and have a cool drink before heading back to the mainland.  Chris ordered potato wedges and a Coke to snack on.  The local bird life was helping themselves to the table next to us.  And as I picked up a chip to take a bite, one of those birds flew up at me and grabbed the wedge chip in my hand.  Startled the heck out of me and Chris.

So like the many other tourists on board heading back to the mainland, we had a little kip. 

And yesterday,  we took a trip up to the Morris dam.  The view of the city of Cairns was spectacular.  And we stocked up with water and food, along with re-organizing the cupboards.  This morning we're off to Cape Tribulation and the Daintree.  HOPEFULLY, I will finally get my photo of a Cassowary.  The last time I tried to take a shot, he ducked into the bushes before I could get my camera out.  And maybe we'll even see a croc or two.

No comments: