Thursday, November 27, 2008

Unwinding at Undara......

Well, here we are,  at Undara Lava Tubes in  far north Queensland.  We're sitting in the caravan, WITH the air conditioner on.  It's nearly 10am and it's already 35 deg. C.  That's little over a 100 deg F for the Americans.  It's going to be a HOT one today.  And we're both sitting here listening to music and writing up all of our Christmas cards.  We're due to go on the tour to see the Lava tubes at 1pm.  It should REALLY be blistering by that time.  But I've been told that the caves should be cool.  So what better way to spend the afternoon? ( and what better way to spend the morning!)

We left Ravenshoe after I did the laundry and Chris worked his new phone out.  I don't know, we've had a few problems with electrical equipment on this trip.  First I blew the fuse when I plugged the 12V connector on the TV.  Thankfully, Robert found it and helped us out that way.  Then the car phone charger blew it's fuse.   Blew?....well, MELTED it, is more like.  It was hotter than I could handle and it melted the fuse.  And not only did it melt the fuse, but it must have melted the connector that's in the phone, because the phone couldn't charge after that.  So we headed BACK into Atherton to buy a new phone.  And then for some reason, it wasn't showing that we had reception at Ravenshoe, while both of our computers WERE showing almost full reception.  So Chris went BACK into Atherton again to fix that while I stayed at the van and washed clothes.   But we left yesterday right after lunch and got here late in the afternoon.

This is an interesting place, but it seems a bit too hot to enjoy it.  We finally got the van settled into our spot and booked our tours in.  As I walked up to the Amenties block I noticed that there were these holes in the ground.  Not little ant holes,( yes, there was LOTS of those as well) but LARGE holes.  Round....like snakes.  I was a bit dubious looking at these.  I came back to the van and asked Chris.  And in his usual style, replied,...'they're not snake holes, but spider holes!  and you should SEE the SIZE of THOSE spiders!"..uh boy, here we go.  For those of you who don't know Chris well, he's a bit of a larrikin.  In English, that's fibber, storyteller, jokester, prankster, etc.  So needless to say, I didn't believe him and I also understood that he didn't know either.  Either way, I wasn't going to stand around waiting for whatever lived in them to come out.

And on Chris's way to the amenties block he came across a rather LARGE grey male kangaroo.  He was over 6ft tall.  Both startled each other.  And then late last night, there were wallabies galore, hopping around the whole caravan park.  Not as many as the golf course at Mareebra, but still enough to entertain you.  And this morning they're still hanging around.

I do have some more pictures to put on as well.  For those of you who are new to my blog, on the right hand side it says ''more photos''?  click that and it will give you a slideshow to view all the photos I take and that way you don't have to listen to my ''waffling''.

No comments: