Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Ready to go home?...not yet.

Chris asked me yesterday if I'm still enjoying this travelling and sight seeing and I thought about it, ...and I thought,..yes,..I am enjoying it. 

We've been on the road now for about 4 months.  I think I'm getting used to it.  When we first started on this journey, there's the excitement and wonder.  We've had points in the journey where we've HAD to be somewhere at a certain time,...like Christmas with the kids,...repair appointments in Canberra, and we stopped in to see Chris's Army mate Vic and his wife Maria.  And now,  we've got a deadline in Port Lincoln for the Scout meeting.  We'll be catching up with Col and Margaret for that meeting and then we're off up the middle of Australia.

But all in all, it's been great to see so much of Australia.  You always HEAR about these places, but we've never had the opportunity to see them.  And now, here we are, doing it.

I've managed to absorb some of the essence of Australian history.  Yesterday we stopped in to see Portland which is the very FIRST settlement in Victoria.  It was a whaling town back then, but now there's an aluminium smelter and an timber chip exporter on the docks.   We had lunch in a local bakery and there were photos on the wall from the early 1900's and some as early as 1870.  The lady told us some of the history about Portland as we gazed at the photos.

100_9509

I've talked about people living in the early homes, but today we came across the Customs House,...which Chris accidentally found out is still in use as a Customs House.  The gentleman kindly asked Chris if he had his transfer documents. Startled,  Chris replied no, he's just a tourist, and then sheepishly walked out while I teased him.

 

 

 

100_9512

And we also found out that the original court house is ALSO still in use today. We didn't bother going inside that one.

 

 

There have been times where I think I would like to go home, but this travelling really is a lot of fun and I'm not quite ready to give that up yet.  I feel as though I've adjusted to being on the road with the use of the caravan as our house.   But I know at the end of this trip,..there WILL be a house to go home to, and that there WILL be lots of work to do once we get there.

For those of you who are enjoying the photos...I've run out of my quota for Flickr this month(again), but you can enjoy them on " My Space" which is the link on the righthand side of the page.

And today, we're off to The Grampians, the western wall of mountains in Victoria.

No comments: