Thursday, February 12, 2009

Recon...in Melbourne

Well, we've had a good look around Melbourne city yesterday.  We drove through Brighton where the wealthier folks live.  I LOVE the architecture.  Each house has it's own unique architecture. Did I say house?..I meant mansion.  Huge homes with tall, gated, fences.

And then there's the houses we CAN afford...100_9063 But, no one is selling these at the moment.  At a mere $300,000, it's yours.  IF....you can find one for sale.

 

 

 

We went into St. Kilda, which is where Luna Park is located. It's also where my friend's daughter lived for a while.  The streets are like a maze of cars, wires, trees, trams and people.  We managed to find a spot to park that would fit the Cruiser and it's roof rack.

We were greeted at first sight with St. Paul's Cathedral and Flinders St. railway station.

100_9065 

The first thing we did was have lunch.  One must have sustenance to start their walking journey through the city streets.  Chris had a turkish sub sandwich and I had lasagne. 

We set out to find a free city tram to tour the whole inner city.  There was an historical commentary playing, but with the people noise and traffic noise, I only caught snippets of it.  Still, we could see the older architecture tucked in between the new.

100_9085 This is the oldest building in Melbourne.  I'm not sure what year it was built as I couldn't hear that part of it.

 

 

 

100_9093 This one looks like it's been selling opals FOREVER. It doesn't look much different from it's neighbours, but the newer buildings surrounding it helped to distinguish it's uniqueness.

 

 

 

 

Well, Chris and I drove around by tram, and then we took a river cruise.  Melbourne is a great place to people watch.  At least now, we've established where everything is and what we want to see.  So another trip into the city is a must.  To get any history on Melbourne, I think the museum should be first.  And......don't tell Chris, but I think another trip into a gaol is going to give us a bit of history as well.  And if it turns out to be too much on our feet, there's always the IMAX theatre.

No comments: