Saturday, May 17, 2008

I HATE RATS!!!!!!! and any other vermin!!!

One thing about living in a rural area, is that come Autumn, some form of vermin usually try to make their way into the house.  Because of the hay, we have had rats in the shed.  No problem, just through a little rat bait and that takes care of that.

But this year for some reason, we didn't get our usual mice population in the house.  Instead, I have rats.  I HATE RATS!!!!

Chris and I were sitting there watching TV one night and I said 'There's a RAT!!" pointing to this rodent who just scurried out of sight behind the chair.  He says, "it's not a rat, it's just a little mouse."  So the trap is set.

Well, it's 4am and I'm up.  I've been awake most of the night.  Listening.  The trap (Note:  A, one, uno, single trap) was set and lo and behold, one rat caught at 10:30 last night.

Camille woke up about 12 last night.  I crawled into bed with her and she settled right down for a snuggle. And then the noise starts.  I sat there listening and I could hear the rats in her room.  There was her school bag on the floor, and they're in there eating whatever is left in the cold bag.  I could hear the rustling.  And there wasn't the pitter patter of a SET of feet.  OH NO!!!....It was the pitter patter of SEVERAL sets of feet.  There was scurrying in and out of the room like Grand Central Station!!!

"Don't panic, don't panic"...Breathe deeply and think rationally.  (And as I write this, there's a rat in the trash bin under the Chris's desk, jumping and in and out, looking for food.) Brazen thing. (don't panic! don't panic)

My first instinct is to scream the house down, while my second instinct is don't wake anybody.  I HATE RATS!!!!!  I can handle lizards, snakes, spiders, mice, and frogs, but rats are something I cannot handle. 

And the NOISE.  They're not quiet little creatures.  Oh no,...they're like a football team running through the house, behind the fridge, climbing on the hoses, in the cupboards rustling papers.  And all that noise I could hear in my roof?....RATS!!!!  I TOLD Chris there were rats in the roof.  "It's NOT rats" he says. "It's possums".  Possums don't scurry.  They're large and lumbersome.  RATS SCURRY!!!

This morning, at dawn light, I'm outta here and down to Bunnings.   I've got rat traps to buy and I don't care how much they cost!!!  I want those critters OUT OF MY HOUSE!!!!

No comments: