Thursday, December 18, 2008

19th Century to the 21st Century.....

My first thought is to say thank you to all those inventors out there.  After going through the historical village yesterday, it really comes home to roost about how hard life was in those days for the early pioneers.  I think I could handle living in a slab hut with either dirt floors or timber slab floors.  I could also handle cooking over the fires.  The beds?...well,...I DO like my comfort there.  I can even handle not having indoor plumbing.  But it's the back breaking work, like getting the timber for the fire, having to wash clothes BY HAND, in a wringer and copper tub, having to make all of my family's clothes, and bringing the water up from the creek/river/dam, and tending the garden, so you can have vegetables.  And the slab walls (with gaps in between) would be really great....in the summer!,...add a cold, windy and frosty morning to that,....well,....you can see what I mean.  So to all those inventors out there, I thank you from the bottom of my pampered heart.  We really DO have an easy life.

We sometimes forget about the hardships they've had to endure as we have our romanticised views of what " life was like" back then.  Part of me would like to have that lifestyle and part of me would not.  (I think this is where I'd like to have my cake and eat it too).  I like the fresh air, and country lifestyle, but I also like the mod cons, like refrigerators, washers, comfy beds with lots of linen and blankets, running water, and indoor plumbing.  So to all those inventors out there, I thank you.

No comments: