Thursday, April 3, 2008

My walking boots are nearly worn in........

My husband has been on my case recently because I don't exercise enough.  So while he's been away for the last couple of days, I thought I would ride my bike, and go for walks.  After all,  we're not going to be here for very much longer.  (Nothing like enjoying your environment just before you leave.) Anyway, today, I decided that I would 'work' my walking boots in and get a little fresh air and sunshine.

So when Dr. Phil was over,...yes?  stop snickering.  So when Dr. Phil was over, I decided that I would go for a walk to the Purlingbrook Falls, which just happens to be around the corner.  So I packed my backpack with my wallet and a light jacket.  Checked the fridge for water, but there wasn't any, and I thought that's okay cause it's only a short walk across and I can buy milk and water on the way back.   I then put the dogs away in the shed because they're not allowed in the National Forest and I started off.

I made it to the mailbox.  Feeling pretty good,...check the mail...no mail,...turn right into the road and head down to the forest.  Two young men were in earnest conversation as they made their way back up to the carpark at the end.  I then went down the path heading for the falls.  Not bad,...a little steep here and there.  Go around a few corners.  Feel the breeze on my face with the coastal winds coming up the gorge.  Listen to the parrots overhead.  Watch a few lizards scramble out of my way as I make my way down into the ravine.  It must have been about a kilometre or so to the bottom.  I saw a man and his son there at a junction on the path.  They were getting ready to head back up the stairs and the pathway.  Well, my knees made it!  Not too puffed.  This is good!  head up under the falls.  I feel the moisture on my face and arms from the waterfall.  This was wonderful.  No noise, no kids, no husband,..all on my own.  There's a lot to be said about being on your own.  I think I needed this time away.  This kind of silence is great.

Well, the path that goes under the falls usually leads up the other side, but because of the huge rains we've had in these past summer months, The pathway was washed out. So I thought to myself, okay,..I'll head back.  But as I headed back to that junction in the road.  There was a sign that said " Woo..something or other Pools'' 2 klm return.  I thought to myself, well I'm feeling pretty good, I can do this.  So I started down THAT path.

Now, there's something to be said here.  Besides 'fool'.  I HAD realized that when you go DOWN, you must come UP.  But because I felt so good and my new boots weren't bothering me THAT much, that I could do this.  So off I went.  And went.  And went.  Traipsing through the muddy areas, over palm fronds that had fallen in the winds.  Over little rocky creeks.  And about 2/3rds in to that path, I came across an older couple who look like they've been walking trails for years.  Experienced comes to mind.  I asked if the walk was worth it and their reply was 'oh yes, it's beautiful".  So I continued on about another 500 to 600 metres.  And there it was....the pools.  What I wouldn't have given to have my bathingsuit now.  It brought back a memory of Liz and Robert coming down here to swim.  It was a GREAT swimming hole.  But I didn't have my suit.  And I didn't have my water.  WATER!!!!  oh I sure could use a drink of water right now.   And my CAMERA!! man!  did I forget the essentials or what!  So I tried to relax my body as I could feel that I had worked the heart pretty good.  So I took off my backpack and sat there.  I contemplated my sore toes and boots.  I took deep breaths trying to relax the pace of my heart.  Hmmm....this is not good.  No water and I still have to go UP.  Okay,...that was dumb.  Well, going to the shop now was out of the question.  Hopefully it won't take me too long to get back. 

So after this mental to-ing and fro-ing, I decided to put the backpack back on and start back.  Slow and steady wins the race, I think to myself.  I plodded along and then I began to realize, that this wasn't going to be fun.  I started having conversations with myself.  "you're down here all by yourself.""you could get hit over the head and left for dead". and other nonsensical things like that.   Dehydration can do that to a person. After a few minutes of 'deadly' silence,  I then realized that it could hear some people coming down the side of the mountain.  And it disappeared.  And I plodded along.  And by the time I got back to the falls, I was TRUDGING up the hill.  I thought oh, good, I'm almost there at the junction again, and I'll be able to sit on the bench and rest a while. 

Well, it seemed as if it took ages to get to that bench.  And when I finally went around that last corner with relief, much to my dismay, it was FULL.  A family of four were there.  We said good day and I moved on up the hill side path onwards to home and WATER, and they moved on toward the falls to have a look.  I got about 40 steps and at the first flight of stairs, I stopped and sat down to rest.  Trying to calm my heart and breathe slower.  I listened.  There was a helicopter overhead.  Hmmm...wonder who they could be rescuing.  Me, perhaps?  nah, I wasn't gone THAT long.  And while it flew away, I turned to head up the stairs, albeit slowly.  Did I tell you that I'm 40lbs overweight?...did I tell you that I have bad knees?....did I tell you that I'm thirsty?.....oh....boy....it was all coming back in a flood.  Well, I'll just have to take it slowly.  So I trudged, and trudged, and what's that noise?  oh the family of four was behind me and I stopped to let them go by.  Maybe if I try to keep up with them, it won't take as long to get to the top!!  So I follow, and the space between them and me widens as we all walk along.  Now, I'm starting.. to.. feel.. old.  I followed them the best I could as I huffed and puffed my way through.  I stopped and looked. The family had disappeared from my sight and there in front of me was the longest set of stairs.  I just knew I was going to need a lot more energy than this.  I sat on a step and sighed.  I closed my eyes, and took a few deep breaths.  Waited a few minutes, then turned and started up one step at a time.  I could hear water running and my mouth started salivating,...water,...water,....I sighed.  As I approached the falls, I was thinking of ways I could just dip my hands in and drink some of it.  But alas, it was not meant to be.  Another couple approached me as we all crossed the bridge in opposite directions.  I can't remember what he asked, and I can't remember what I said as I was too busy thinking about having a drink of that cold,.. clear, ..wahhtter.

I knew I had to continue on.  So I plodded along step by step.  One foot in front of the other.  I could hear something as I trudged upwards out of the ravine.  What's that noise?  It almost sounds like somebody's footsteps.  Hang on a minute....that's my HEART!!!  whoa!  That was good, but then at my age, that might not be so good.  I tried to slow and deep breathe.  It was nearly 3/4 of the way up that I knew I was getting close.  There were 3 more steep flights of stairs to get up and my path would veer off to the right back out on the street.  But first,.......I need another rest before I tackle this triple "heart attack waiting to happen".  Well, about 5 minutes later, I realized I was falling asleep on the step.  I got up and made my way up those stairs.  All 3 flights.  I found my path and made it to the street.  I thought about getting on down on my knees and kissing the street, but I was too thirsty and I didn't want the neighbours to wonder who this person was, kissing their street. I cut through a neighbour's house, sorry Gloria and Ray, but I was too thirsty to go around. 

I MADE IT!!!!  I clambered up the back steps and poured the biggest glass of ice water I could get.  I was exhausted.  Two and a half hours that "little'' walk was.  Not bad, toes don't hurt too much. The boots got a bit worn in. And now the dogs want their turn for their exercise.  Yep, this is good.  Until tomorrow when the muscles start to stiffen.  Hrrmph!  maybe I'll get lucky and I'll feel super great and want another walk.  Yeah, right!!!

No comments: