Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Getting things in order for the desert trip.......

Well, as this story continues...we're still getting things ready for the trip.  Chris is getting closer to getting the Scout registered.  He had a few hiccups along the way.  Fuel was still leaking from the tank, along with a small oil leak.   Both are now fixed. (yeah!)  He's waiting on the back glass for the Scout.  And as I write this, he's put the windows in the doors, put the glove box in, and he's closing in under the seats for storage.

I've downloaded all the music onto an I-pod.  We now have every scrap of country music we own, on it.  And I also put my french lessons on it too, just in case I want to do some studying while we're away.  The I-pod is an interesting piece of technology.  You can have videos, pictures, as well as music.  AND!!!....it can plug into the radio to play it through the truck speakers!  Amazing!  We can also use Chris's phone to hook up into the radio too!!  Technology is so AMAZING!!!

The sleeping bags are tested and ready.  The tent has had it's seams "siliconed".  We have lights, BBQ, a bunson burner, pots/pans, etc.  And there's more to come yet.  We haven't done a test run yet to see if everything will fit.  That will come later.

Col rang this morning.  We're now booked for a Hot air balloon ride over Uluru, and a plane ride over Lake Eyre.  The plane ride, no problem.  However, the Hot Air Balloon ride, might cause a stir, since I'm a little nervy of heights.  I'm okay in a plane, where I'm enclosed, but when I'm exposed to the air whirling around me, I may be sitting on the bottom of the basket with my arm over stretching the edge and taking pictures. 

Hmmm...this WILL be an interesting trip!!!

These are the pictures that WrightAir advertise.  This is where we're headed.  

 

 

 

 

As you can see it's predominantly a salt lake.   There's supposed to be water in it this year.  Along with lots of birds and bugs!

Don't forget the Aeroguard!!LOL

 

 

The desert is a harsh place as you can see here.  This is like the area where we're going to.  It will only take about 4 days to go through, so I'm told.

My first "roughing it" type camping trip.

 

I've never seen the desert like this, so this is an exciting trip for both Chris and myself.  He gets to do the '4WD - BOY' thing and I get to take pictures!!  who could ask for anything more?!  While I'm not looking forward to being with a toilet or shower over that time, I AM looking forward to seeing Birdsville, coming to where the 3 state borders meet, seeing the wildlife out there, and seeing Uluru, and the Olgas.  It's a chance in a lifetime opportunity that not everyone gets to see and do.

But in the meantime, the Scout needs to get registered and finished off.  It looks like Friday is the magical date!  I'll keep you posted.

No comments: