Sunday, April 20, 2008

Planning the trip while we wait.........

While we're waiting to sell the house, and Chris continues to get the Scout driveable, I've been laying out our itinerary for what we want to see when we travel to the US.  As the navigator of our family, I have to give instructions and plan the directions of what we're going to see.  So my first thought was to find out WHAT we wanted to see and then plan it out on the map    I kind of  knew that there was a lot to see in the states, but I guess I just didn't realize HOW MUCH there was.  (If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know and I'll add it to our list.)

I thought I would be really clever and start off in Florida.  There's a large RV place there that has about 15 acres of RVs.  WOW!  What a choice!  And since we needed to buy an RV, it was a good place to start.  It was either that or Texas.

Map image

Well anyway, I got down to Key West, snorkeling, kayaking, going on boat cruises etc.  and back up to Epcot Center, Disneyworld, a few museums along the way.  Hey!  no problem!  I can see this is going to be a piece of cake!  So I made my way into Georgia, and up to South Carolinas and back across to Alabama.  Stop.  There's HOW many state forests and museums there?!  uh boy,...this is not going to be good.  I then worked out how many days we'll be able to spend in each state.  48 in all.  (We're only travelling continental US.)  That worked out to 1 week and 1 day in each state.  And we also have family to see, so THAT'S going to take a little longer for those particular states.

Okay,....maybe if I just put the highlights down first, and then go from there.  I have to think about my approach on this.

So I came back to planning again this morning.  I'm full of enthusiasm and ready to go!  And I start with Maine this morning.  Ooh good choice!  Lobster!  first on the list.  Can't go to Maine and not have lobster.  Of course, that's what we said we went to Strahan in Tasmania and we missed out then because the chef quit! which is another story.  So maybe this time we WILL have lobster. (fingers crossed!)  Now.....let's see...there's covered bridges, whitewater rafting, hiking, lighthouses galore, historical buildings, Autumn leaves changing, and the sea.  And if you go when it's snowing, you can catch a train to Boston!  Hmmm....I think summer is better  time to get up there.  This tropical bunny won't last long in that kind of winter.  Not when our winters ( at Springbrook) only get down to 12 celcius, at the very most and that's through the day.

Okay!  and  then down to Massachusetts. 

Map image

 

Hey!...there's LOTS to see there too!  I started off with Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket.  And the Plymouth Rock!!!  oh yeah!!! EARLY AMERICAN HISTORY!  I forgot all about that!  cool.  So, I made a long list of what to see there.  I can't go to Massachusetts and NOT see about the witches.  So we'll see that.  And then there's the Kennedy Memorial Museum, and all the Trail Museums and waterfalls, etc. 

And then down to Rhode Island.  Hmm...the battery on the computer has run down, so it must be time for a break.  I'll work my way back to Connecticutt, Vermont, and New Hampshire when I get back on.

No comments: