Tuesday, April 15, 2008

We grow 'em big here in Queensland........

While Chris and Col have been working on the Scout, I have been having cups of coffee with Margaret and shooting the breeze.  She was telling me about this large spider she had out on her front verandah.  And I for one, am usually a sceptic when it comes to hearing people talk about LARGE spiders as I've SEEN large spiders.

So, on Monday, we had Camille, and I told her about this spider.  Well, she wanted to see this spider too.  She likes looking at creepy crawlies, but doesn't like them crawling ON her.  (as with most females)  So while we were waiting for Margaret to come home, we walked around the gardens and around the verandah a couple of times, but we couldn't find that spider.

So when Margaret came home, we pounced on her, to see this spider.  Well, while we were looking high, it was low.  As matter of fact it was so low, it was in it's last throes of death. 

Now, I've seen some large spiders here in Queensland, and this was another one.  It's not the biggest I've seen, but it is a good size.  It's an Orb Spider, says Col.  They usually make rather large webs that span from tree to tree. But not usually in someone's verandah, unless it's not occupied on a regular basis.

100_4232

We gathered it up with a dust broom and pan.  And as you can see it had quite a large leg span.  Camille was fascinated!!   She had her nose buried very close to this spider inspecting every nook and cranny.  I was fine as long as it was dead, and Margaret was still a bit squeamish waiting for it to 'AH HA!!!" and jump up to attack us at any moment.

Margaret offered the spider to us to take home, but we politely declined.  Now what would I do with a dead spider?

The last LARGE spider I saw, was a Huntsman in a wood pile.  It was the granddaddy of them all.  It's leg span was about 160mm (6in) with a body the size of a fifty cent piece.  Now THAT was a spider.  And I only heard about the one that Chris's mum caught, which was a Mouse spider.  That's the LARGEST spider, I've ever heard of.  She had tried to catch one with a 2 litre ice cream container.  The legs didn't fit.  Eesh!

Australia's always been known for it's creepy crawlies and poisonous creatures.  You just have to keep your eyes open to see them.

No comments: